Sunday, March 6, 2011

Training Week Nine Recap (111 days to go!)

I promise this blog will not continue to be a weekly log of my miles. Really, I do. I'm still getting used to all of the adjustments in our lives, and work has been busy, so unfortunately we're going on nearly a month without any new material other than my workouts...and I know those aren't that interesting to most of you.

This past week was a milestone week for my fundraising efforts for the Wounded Warrior Project! We crossed the $6,000 mark early in the week, and with 3 1/2 months until race day, I've only got about $3,800 left to raise! Thank you all for your generosity and support for such a great cause...and one that is dear to me.

Week 9 was my second highest mileage week ever, behind Week 6's 82+ miles. Here's how it went:

Monday: 8.17 miles nice and easy. I enjoyed a run under a blanket of stars shining bright overhead.

Tuesday: 8.12 miles, again nice and easy. This one came at sunrise, and it was as colorful as one would expect after the previous night's starscape.

Wednesday: 10.60 miles. I hit the Clayton High School track after 2 3/4 mile warmup. The workout was a pyramid workout from 400 meters up to 1600 meters and back down to 400 again, and if I do say so myself, it went quite well. The splits were as follows: 1:15 (400m), 2:39 (800m), 4:19 (1200m), 5:43 (1600m), 4:14 (1200m), 2:35 (800m), and 1:15 (400m). I cooled off with two miles, and I went home happy.

Thursday: 1.05 miles. Scheduled rest day, so I took the dog for an easy mile in the morning so he'd get his exercise and I'd continue my running streak dating back to August 2009.

Friday: 6.21 miles. I ran the middle two miles at an uptempo pace, and the legs responded well for a morning run.

Saturday: 32.02 miles. It rained a lot on Friday night. The last time I ran the Greenrock Trail, there were several inches of fresh snow on the ground. This time the path had streams of water and muddy sections to challenge me. This was the third longest run of my life, behind only my 50 mile race last July and my 38 mile pacing effort at the 2010 Western States Endurance Run. I ran alone, with my only company in the nearly six hours on the trail two groups of Boy Scouts hiking with large packs on their backs. I asked one group if they'd been camping the night before, and they looked at me like I was crazy, so they must get a badge for wandering around the woods with a ton of gear strapped to their backs or something. Of course, they probably wondered why I was running circles around them in tights. I took a few pictures of the runoff waterfalls that formed near the trailhead.




Sunday: 10.12 miles. My coach told me that this was supposed to be an easy run, and I didn't have to challenge him...my legs wouldn't have let me do anything else! I started out at 9 minute miles, with legs blasted by the previous day's effort, but they found some life in the latter half of the run. I finished with a string of 8 minute miles, and I'd guess my final mile was in the 7:40-7:45 range.

Total Week Nine: 76.29 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment