Sunday, February 27, 2011

Training Week Eight Recap (118 days to go)

The most amazing week of my life is coming to a close. I enjoyed a week at home, hanging out with my girls, getting to know my little daughter, trying to relish every moment...and sneaking out the door for a run. After all, I can't let little Nora down come that last weekend of June!

Monday: 14.15 miles, nice and easy after Sunday's tempo run.

Tuesday: 6.28 mile recovery run...I picked it up at the end.

Wednesday: 8.62 miles, again nice and easy.

Thursday: 9.56 miles, including 6x800s with a 400 jog rest in 2:51, 2:52, 2:53, 2:54, 2:53, 2:51. It was pouring rain, and it felt like the headwind hit me over 300 of the 400 meters. Overall, I was happy with the workout.

Friday: 3.16 miles. This was a rest day before Saturday's race.

Saturday: 12.14 miles, including a 15k race in the Big River Running Company's Castlewood Cup.


I finished the trail race through Castlewood State Park just a few miles from my house in 1:03:43 (6:51 average), good enough for 5th of 322 finishers and 2nd in my age group. I ran most of the race in 7th place, after the pack spread out at the top of the huge hill just before the first mile marker, and I was pleased that I had enough kick in the final mile to pass two runners with a little gusto. I'll add a photo of the creek crossing once they're uploaded online. Overall, a well-run event over a challenging and diverse course with great post-race food (barbecue pulled pork) and a keg of Bud Light. I'd definitely recommend this race to local runners.

Sunday: 12.33 miles. My legs were pretty sore from the previous day's race.

Total Week Eight: 66.24 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment