Friday, January 14, 2011

One of my heroes is home! (162 days to go!)

One of the primary reasons I chose to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project is my little brother. Matthew joined Army ROTC in college, serving one weekend each month and two weeks each summer in the National Guard while he was at it. When he graduated, he was assigned to an aviation unit and lived in Alabama for two years to attend flight school. Today, he returned home to his beautiful wife Megan and two-year old son Jack after serving ten months in Iraq. I wish I could find the words to describe the depth of the emotion I felt today, or the pride I have for his dedication and sacrifice. I can't, so let me leave it at this: I couldn't be prouder of him. I love him so much.

Matthew returned home safely, and my family offers prayers of thanksgiving today for that. Other military families are less fortunate. The Wounded Warrior Project seeks to assist those injured in Iraq and Afghanistan, helping fill the gaps in their transition back to society that the government cannot, for whatever reason, fill. I am proud to dedicate my Western States run to this organization. Please consider making a donation today in support of our wounded veterans, and in honor of my own brother's safe return into the arms of his family.

Here's video of his arrival...my favorite part is Jack's comment "Dada's home" at about the 1:04 mark.

1 comment:

  1. ok I am such a sucker for these videos! :) I am sitting here tearing up as I watch this! I am glad your brother made it home safe to his family and please thank him for defending our country!!

    ReplyDelete