Monday, January 3, 2011

The Official First Day of Training! (173 days to go)

Today marks the offical first day of my training. Like most training plans, it involves a pretty normal run..5 or 6 easy miles. It's a good 24 weeks to race day, so I've got a lot of running in front of me.

While reading the paper this morning, I found an inspiring piece on Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta, who recently became the first living soldier since Vietnam to receive the Medal of Honor. I had the privilege of shaking Sgt. Giunta's hand at Carnegie Deli in New York City in November, a few hours before his appearance on the David Letterman Show. The photos below are our blurry attempt to capture that moment....that's my gray sleeve in the lower left corner!


His story is just one of many among those with whom he serves that drive me to raise funds for the Wounded Warrior Project. He, of course, avoided injury during his heroic acts, but many others do not while exhibiting bravery in the line of duty. I thank them all for their service.

No comments:

Post a Comment