Sunday, December 5, 2010

The fundraising page is up and running...202 days to go!


100 miles in one day. It's hard to fathom. I ran 56 miles in one day last July in my Western States qualifier, the Voyageur 50 Mile Trail Race. The photo on the right is me standing at the starting line, wondering what was ahead of me. One of these days, I'll post that race report and explain exactly why I ran 56 miles in a 50 mile race! The one thing I can say is that it hurt. A lot. So bad that I couldn't finish a celebratory beer back at my hotel room. (Don't worry, I had one at the finish line!)

Today, I feel a lot of the same nerves I felt on that July morning. I should probably feel twice the nerves, though, since Western States, at 100.2 miles, is twice as long. I know this run is going to hurt. But as I mentioned yesterday, it's going to be worth it because I've picked a worthy cause to drive me forward over the 7 months of training I have ahead of me, not to mention the 100.2 miles of rugged terrain I'll run on June 25th and 26th. It drove me to a solid 9 mile run tonight as the sun set over the bitterly cold day we had here in St. Louis.

The Wounded Warrior Project is a non-profit organization whose mission is to honor and empower injured service members by raising awareness and supporting their needs. WWP's core values are fun, integrity, loyalty, innovation, and service. It's hard to imagine a finer list of values, and I certainly appreciate the significance of listing "fun" first...that's one reason I'm embarking on this journey. You can visit their website here.

I've started a fundraising page. My goal is a lofty one, I realize, and like this race, it's one I worry I can't meet. But like this race, I'm determined to reach the finish line. That's why I've decided to raise $100 for every mile of my Western States race. It won't be possible without your support and generosity, and I thank you in advance for both. Please please please forward my blog and donation page to friends, family, fellow runners, or even complete strangers if you think it would benefit them, or most importantly, the Wounded Warrior Project cause. This journey is one I can't complete on my own.

If you'd like to recognize a past or present service member with your donation, please email me at csilker (at) gmail.com. I will be regularly updating this page with the names of those who have sacrificed so much for each of us, and I will carry a list of their names with me to the starting line. Also, all donations are tax-deductible, and you should receive an email confirmation of your donation. If you'd prefer to make an "offline" donation, I can arrange that, too, or instructions are found on the WWP website.

In just one day, your outpouring of support has been amazing. I can't thank you all enough. Now let's go run!

No comments:

Post a Comment